15.3.2011

Balthazar


The picture: "We found a dead baby seal. We decorate it because we don't ever want to forget." (I didn't manage to take a good photo of this, but it was very impressive. And all this talk. There are a lot of dead animals in her games and fires in her dreams. But she's happy, just dealing with stuff.)

The title: I read a book. I just took it from a shelf of new books in the library and it was written by Anne Wiazemsky, "Jeune fille". It was a story from her youth about the time when Robert Bresson chose her to be Marie in his film "Au hasard Balthazar". I'm feeling a bit cold and shaky from the earthquake news all the time, and reading this book was like that too. I was a bit scared. Because: we watched that film in our old home (me, Y and my mum), and after the movie I was crying like crazy. I don't really what it was, but it was really strong. After the movie we got nepalese food from our street -- I've been craving for nepalese since I started reading. Memory stories... I finished the book yesterday, somehow I never wanted it to end, but somehow I was also uncomfortable reading it. And I'd like to watch the film again but I don't dare. Maybe I will watch "Pickpocket" instead. Or "Mouchette". (Did I ever mention Y has a lot of movies?) This selection is quite interesting. V's installation also reminded me of "Les jeux interdits". There were more "coincidences" to Balthazar. I also just read Georgia Hubley's top 10.

There were two donkeys close to us but that neighbour has moved away. I knew a donkey in Japan too.
+
"Me löydettiin hylkeenpoikasen raato. Me koristellaan se, koska me ei haluta ikinä unohtaa."

Olen lukenut kirjan, mietin leffoja. Kaiken muun ohessa. Kun etsin linkkejä, niin selvisi, että tuo Anne Wiazemsky oli ollut tulossa kirjamessuille viime vuonna. Ja naimisissa Godardin kanssa.

6 kommenttia:

Joola kirjoitti...

Jäätiin tänään tarhasta kotiintulomatkalla leikkimään lätäköllä, jonne heiteltiin lunta ja jää mureni ja siitä sai lohkottua jäänkappaleita. Yhtäkkiä esikoinen keksi ruveta leikkimään japanin hyökyaaltoa. Ja virrassa kelluvat jään palat oli autoja ja taloja ja sitä kaikkea tavaraa mitä siellä oli äiti. Olin juuri sanomassa, että ei sellasta leikkiä, kunnes tajusin, että täytyy hänen antaa. Jotenkin lapset tätä kaikkea käsittelee. Ihan samoin ajattelen, ettei esikoiseni vaikuta ahdistuneelta, mutta tuollaisista jutuista näkee, että puhuttu on ja jotain nähnytkin ja todella paljon tajuaakin. Teki hiekasta keon ja sinne pelastautui jäähileitä tulvavettä pakoon, ihmisiä.

Lupasin mennä yöksi poikien huoneeseen, sillä kuopus pyysi. Häntä kuulemma pelottaa. Ei osannut sanoa mikä, ja sanoin, ettei tarvitsekaan, kyllä äiti voi tulla.

anette kirjoitti...

hannah, you have that great talent of always finding the right words here!
thank you for that and the stories about V's games and the bresson films and that link!
It's a good idea to rather watch a good film now then following the endless bad news from japan as my empathy and anger about the epic drama wouldn't make a difference tonight.
have you seen this beautiful short donkey film ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RApg8HPlb3o
i posted it a while ago.
i am very much attracted to donkeys, beasts of burden, they touch my heart.

mieke willems kirjoitti...

the chair thing does look impressive. last night i saw pickpocket. not so crazy about it actually.

Jaime Rugh kirjoitti...

stunning.
the chair,
your words, the images,
i so appreciate what you write hanna.

hannna kirjoitti...

Joola. Täällä on ollut pahojen unien kausi jo jonkin aikaa, ja kuolema liittyy kovasti luontofilmeihin, petoeläimiin. Nyt tietenkin näen, miten hyvin tämä sopii juuri nyt. Se oli niin kauniisti sanottu. Hän myös toivoo, että pääsisi hautajaisiin, "nyt 5-vuotiaana".

Anette, really? Well thank you. I don't feel like that. I'm somehow always trying to write quite short and it doesn't always work. This was my link post! I didn't watch anything, just read new and started knitting something to send to my friend's baby in Japan. I'm not crazy about Bresson but I liked the book and it made me consider the work of a director, his strong vision. I will check out your link!

MW, there were 3 chairs altogether making a skeleton and she found so many things for decoration. Or they did, she says "we" as if the brother is doing something too. I don't really like his films but now I feel like watching them after the book.

Jaime, thank you too! The skeleton was much greater than it ever looks in this lame photo. Thank you, such unexpected words here today.

hannna kirjoitti...

Oh and Anette, there was a funny passage about Bresson and the young girl at La Samaritaine choosing clothes for the film character (he had a clear vision about that too).