16.2.2011

food talk



There's a lot going on in our kitchen these days. It's mostly Y's happenings but inspired by him I finally started making bread - my plan since ages. I made one bread root with local organic rye flour and I was given a "french countryside bread" root. So we have these 2 bread roots living here (they need to be fed a couple of times a week). Then there are about 5 variations of sauerkraut. We're reading "Wild fermentation" by Sandor Ellix Katz. A great book even if you don't plan to ferment anything! I had forgotten the french word "choucroute", such a lovely word. Then there is a kombucha. I hardly dare look at it and I'm not so taken with the taste though. And he's making tofu regularly know. And occasionally goat cheese (when we get goat milk). Y took photos for the new website of our friends, they're offering a big organic food package (they cultivate oats, wheat, rye, broad beans) that should last for half a year. So we have all those beans, flakes, flours, grains to work with. It feels really good to be active with what we eat. I'm just a free passenger with all this though, Y is the one with all these projects. Home dad.
+
Keittiö on muuttunut erittäin aktiiviseksi täällä. Siellä tehdään Y:n toimesta tofua, vuohenjuustoa, ainakin 5 erilaista hapankaalia, ruokitaan kombuchaa ja kahta leipäjuurta. Minä huolehdin vain leipähommasta - Y:n esimerkin innoittamana aloin vihdoin harjoitella leipäjuuren tekoa. Meillä on lainassa mahtava kirja, tuo "Wild fermentation". Meillä on myös Luomuruokapaketti.

7 kommenttia:

Maria kirjoitti...

Hannna edelliseen tekstiisi ja kommenttiin viitaten -on laulu ihana laulu Pieni mies sua kauan odotin ,pieni mies sinut ..jne sen laulaa Jukka Kuoppamäki-tuli lapsuus mieleen taisi soida tuolloin usein radioissa:D
Voi sinulla ihana keittiö aika pakkasen keskellä!Onnea leipä juurellesi♥

hookoos kirjoitti...

Jännittävää keittiöelämää!

Hei korjaisitko linkin toimivaksi: http://www.luomuruokapaketti.net/ (puuttuu www välistä joten ei näytä toimivan)

Miten muuten leipäjuurta ruokitaan?

Inger Marie kirjoitti...

The bread looks delicius (so much more due to the nice wrapping of the Kauniste towel ;-) ) and I am very impressed by all your kitchen experiments!

Katie kirjoitti...

It's so funny that your post is titled, "Food Talk" because as I came to your site, I was thinking about food and remembering that you make a lot of healthy things for your family to eat. My daughter is almost one and as she begins to eat more food and nurse less, I'm feeling a little confused and perhaps, uninspired about what to give her. I don't want to feed her anything processed but I'm not sure what to make as a substitute. Anyway, this is a little convoluted but, do you have any good recipes or cookbooks that you find yourself using again and again?

I'm also very impressed with all of the food projects you've got going on -- I just bought a cast iron combo cooker to (potentially) begin baking bread in. Again, I'm only half-way there as I haven't even begun the starter (or root)....

As always, I love your blog!

saara kirjoitti...

Aivan mahtavia projekteja!

hannna kirjoitti...

Kiitos Maria. Pitää etsiä se laulu. Vaikka musta onkin aika älytöntä sanoa pieniä lapsia miksikään miehiksi. keittiöpuuhat lämmittää, täällä kylmä. Hapankaali tosin ei lämmitä.

Sokerikorppu, kiitos, korjasin! Leipäjuurta ruokitaan jauholla ja vedellä, niin että sen koostumus pysyy samanlaisena.

Inger Marie, thank you! This is my bread #2. This is good use fort hese towels, they are too pretty to be used in anything where they might get dirty.

Katie, hello. I do have one book that I use a lot, but it's a finnish book. It is a vegetarian cookbook for families with small kids. A 1-year old can eat the same food as the rest of the family, just not as salty or spicy (well not processed food either). My daughter has always been a very good eater but the little one here is not very much into eating, that makes me quite uninspired. This age is nice anyway in that the kid can eat by himself what he eats. For V I made all kinds of finger food, steamed vegetables. I like making soups. If you e-mail me, I could write more. (I definitely don't feel like an expert in food matters though!)

Saara, jep, tervetuloa hapankaalimaistiaisiin! V juuri kirjoitti kirjettä M:lle. (olethan tuttu Saara?)

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Hei vau! En ollut kuullutkaan tuollaisesta luomuruokapaketista! Kiitos vinkistä, linkistä :)